While applying for jobs earlier this year, I was given three different options. I was lead to Little Luxuries for a number of reason one being the person I would be working for. Coming from a small town as well, Nicole and I have the same work ethic and values. I also felt very comfortable going to work for someone who grew up in the same town as I and knows a lot of the same people I do. Because I work for Little Luxuries, my housing is right on main street. This is a huge perk. #1- I dont have to ride up the Grand Hill every day :) and #2, my housing is away from all of the partying and craziness that goes on inside the Island. This I was unaware of until after I moved to the Island but God knew that this housing was what I needed.
Sweet Madison!
About a month ago, one of our employees was let go from our little shop for a number of reasons. While this was a hard adjustment and was a stressful week of change, I can see now that this is also exactly what our shop needed. Everyone at the shop is happier, things are less stressful and much more enjoyable, and my room mate situation couldnt be better. The tension is gone and we all have bonded so much since the beginning of July. We were also able to hire some other employees because of the job opening at the shop. The two new part time employees are very sweet and I love working with them. These are individuals that I wouldnt have meet without their new jobs at our shop. For this, I am thankful! These friendships I have made with them will last much longer than this short summer on Mackinac Island. I have also been able to use the friendship that I formed with our former employee and reach out to her in her heart ache and share the gospel with her. Pray that Christ would use what is left of the relationship and speak to her heart and open her eyes to her need for a savior.Last week, I was able to go home for a bridal shower. This was a perfect time to take a break from Island life and visit the people that I love. I had been on the Island for two months at that point and was more than ready to go home. This timing couldnt have been better in my summer timeline. I was able to go home, get refreshed, and then come back for a month before Im home again for a wedding. The long stretch is over and now I have short spans of time between visits home before I move home for good.
God provided a church family here on the Island that welcomed me with open arms and loving hearts. People who care about the summer employees and want to serve them and love them. People who open their homes and hearts and care to learn about your life. This was a huge answer to prayer! Each week, I am reminded that I am nothing on my own and that my security is in my Creator. I am able to go freely to church and worship and leave feeling refreshed and energized for the long work week ahead. I also have been able to get every Sunday morning off of work so that I am able to go to Church-without even putting in a special request. This is almost unheard of for summer workers. Another example that God knows what is best for us and He will provide!
Moving to this Island has taught me more than I could have ever imagined. Big things and little things, things about my self and who I am in Christ, and many other things. When Im feeling alone and missing home, I've been reminded that I am never alone and it is Christ who will always be there when others are not. When I feeling stressed and scared about the future and the unknown, I am reminded that there is nothing unknown to our God and He has planned the best for me-because He wants and desires the best for me! This simple truths have been brought to the forefront of my thoughts again and again this summer. This is clearly something that I needed to rediscover!
While here on the Island, I am learning to live life one day at a time and enjoy every day to its fullest-to do everything to my fullest ability and everything for the glory of God. I enjoy going to work and serving others and I am learning to enjoy the tedious tasks of breaking down and bundling cardboard, packaging packing peanuts, and mopping/sweeping the floor. I even learning to become a brave bat catcher!( I still think that I will be forever scared of these little creatures and will never welcome their presence in any building Im in!) I will forever be thankful for the opportunity of Island life for a summer and will never regret moving up here. Yes, I have missed out on graduations, open houses, bridal showers, family vacations, family celebrations, family time and friend time, but the things that I was able to do and learn this summer makes all of it worth it.
Lots of love from a grateful and happy heart,
~Brittany~




No comments:
Post a Comment