Wednesday, July 17, 2013

Chicago to Mackinac Yacht Races!

This week and then again into next week are yacht races on the Island. Boaters from the Chicago area left last Saturday for their journey up the West Michigan coast line and then finally to dock at the Island. It is about 238 nautical miles from Chicago to the Straits. What was supposed to be a crazy busy weekend and start to the week ended up being the slowest days we have had all season. Usually, the families of the boaters come to the Island early and shop around while they wait for the husbands and dads to arrive. However, the weather had a different plan in mind. With 0 miles per hour winds on Lake Michigan for a day and a night, these sail boats werent exactly sailing.......Some people decided to dock their boats further down the coast line and others just turned around and headed for home. For those who did make it all the way here, they had to basically turn around and leave. Everyone must be out of the harbor today because they are preparing for the second yacht race from Harbor Springs that starts in a few days. Most shop keepers were expecting a high profit weekend and unfortunately were greatly disappointed. However, this worker is not complaining one bit! I was able to work a few long shifts and then was rewarded with being able to leave work early yesterday because of the slow day. It was a nice and much needed reprieve from the long hot days on Main Street and I was more than thankful for this treat :)



Some of the lucky boats that made it to the harbor.

Like everywhere else in the country right now, Mack Island has been extremely hot, humid, and HOT! There are simply no winds to cool things off which seems strange since we are on an island. Where I live doesnt have air conditioning and we cant open the windows because we dont have any screens in them. Basically it is one giant oven with a fan to blow all of the hot air around :) I forgot how exhausting the heat can be especially when you have no place to go to escape it. Today I was fortunate enough to learn of a restaurant with an air conditioned sitting room that has free Wifi. This is were I think I will be spending most of my day.



Beautiful shots of a beautiful island evening :)
It's crazy to think that I have been on Island for almost a month and a half! It has been a crazy ride and one that I am thankful for. Im enjoying everyday that I am given here and all of the new people I meet and experiences I am given. It seems strange to think that most college kids are finishing up their summer here and will be leaving in about two weeks. I however will be here through the end of September. Prayers for new friends would be appreciated in the coming weeks as most everyone I know will be leaving the first week of August.
Lots of Love,
Brittany

No comments:

Post a Comment