This was Little Luxuries' "float" in the parade :) Pretty cute.
Along with having extra tourists for the day, we also had extra entertainment as well because of all of the special groups that came to march in the parade. These included things such as bag pipe bands, clowns, a million boy scouts and girl scouts :), and a 60 year old+ marking band. The bag pipers put on a concert in the park before the parade that was very interesting and fun. They had dancers and everything. However, after about the 3rd song, everything started to sound the same. Here is a cool video of their version of Amazing Grace.
You can also see the dancer in this video
Along with the Parade, there also was a doggy parade and then a dog and pony show afterwards at Windemere Park. Basically it was just a small circus act but was really cute and fun to see. They brought the act all the way from Tennessee and they come up to the Island every year for the Lilac Festival. Im telling you, this festival thing is a really big deal here! Below are some picture of the pony acts in the show.
I was also able to go on a free carriage tour of the Island this week because I am an employee. This was a fun way to spend a morning before work and I learned a lot of history of the Island. I would recommend doing this if you make it over to the Island this summer. It is worth the cost to go :)
Familiar faces here on the Island
- Nicole Simon moved up to the island for the summer this last Sunday! It was wonderful to have a friend come up here and to be here for the remainder of the summer.
- Tess Sucheck also visited the Island on Saturday. I love seeing familiar faces in a place that is mostly unfamiliar :)
Ice Cream Update
- Well this week I was able to go out for dinner after work on Wednesday. I was starving so I decided to go all out an order some dessert. This, my friends, is what I got!
Chocolate Smores Ice Cream cake from Millie's on Main. This stuff is amazing!
- Besides this piece of ice cream cake, I did get ice cream with Nicole on Monday to celebrate her arrival on the Island. Mint Chocolate Chip ice cream from Joanne's Fudge. This may be my favorite flavor and place to get ice cream so far. However, after eating the ice cream cake and the Joanne's ice cream, I ended up getting a bad stomach ache, sooooo much to my dismay, I may need to back down from the Ice Cream challenge :( lol. Hahaha we will see how long this lasts for :)
Funny Sites
- Because of the Parade and all of the festivities that it brings, there were an interesting array of people on the Island last Sunday! I saw a man dressed as Sponge Bob square pants, a leprechaun, and a princess to name just a few.
- I have also noticed that the Seagulls here are very aggressive. While eating in the park, you may want to guard your food because they will swoop down and literally take it from you. I have seen them flying with whole tomatoes in their mouths as well as French fries and pieces of pizza :) So beware! They are scavengers and will even eat the bats here.


Sounds like some interesting adventures, Brittany! We've seen those aggressive Seagulls and witnessed one swoop in on Main Street and catch a bat in mid air! Keep the posts coming and enjoy the summer!
ReplyDelete